Updates on the Fall 2020 Semester
News and information about SVA’s plans for online instruction and more.
Your 1098-T Form
Understanding Your 1098-T Form

SVA issues 1098-T forms each year in late January.

The forms are posted online via the Maximus TRA website here and mailed to the student's home address on file.

Please note: The amount reported on the 1098-T may not be the amount you would report on your tax return. It is the responsibility of each taxpayer to determine eligibility for educational tax benefits and how to calculate them.

The School of Visual Arts is unable to provide you with individual tax advice, but should you have questions, seek the counsel of an informed tax preparer or the IRS.

General Information

You should only expect a 1098-T form if you attended at least one credit-earning course for the calendar year just ended, and you fall into one of the categories below:

US citizens and permanent residents: Forms are mailed and available online

International students: Forms are posted online only

You must provide the Office of the Registrar with your Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) as well as your correct home address by December 1 in order for your 1098-T form to reflect this information when it is mailed, uploaded and/or reported to the IRS.

Important Change in Reporting for 2018

In previous years, your 1098-T included a figure in Box 2 that represented the qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) we billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year. Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with the tax year 2018, we will report in Box 1 the amount of QTRE you paid during the year.

Depending on your income (or your family’s income, if you are a dependent), whether you were considered full or half-time enrolled, and the amount of your qualified educational expenses for the year, you may be eligible for a federal education tax credit. (You can find detailed information about claiming education tax credits in IRS Publication 970page 9.)

The dollar amounts reported on your Form 1098-T may assist you in completing IRS Form 8863 – the form used for calculating the education tax credits that a taxpayer may claim as part of your tax return.

  • Box Descriptions

  • Domestic Students

  • International Students

  • Login Assistance for Your 1098-T

  • Request a Copy of Your 1098-T

  • Request a Revision or Correction

  • Frequently Asked Questions

  • W-9S Form: Request for Student Identification Number

Fax:  212.592.2088

Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

During Fridays in the summer semester, we close at 3 p.m.

342 East 24th Street