DATE: October 2021
JOB TITLE: Academic Advisor
DEPARTMENT: MFA Fine Arts
REPORTS TO: Chair
POSITION OVERVIEW: The MFA Fine Arts Department at the School of Visual Arts seeks a team-minded Academic Advisor with strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills and experience working in an academic art department or arts organization. The Academic Advisor manages the department’s admissions process and academic affairs, including curriculum and instruction, supports students and faculty, and collaborates with other departmental staff on recruitment and events. Artists are encouraged to apply.
● Set annual admissions timeline in consultation with the chair.
● Track application data and statistics.
● Communicate with prospective applicants, schedule and conduct tours as needed.
● Hire and supervise student tour guides.
● Attend recruitment events, including National Graduate Portfolio Days.
● Coordinate admissions committee.
● Coordinate interviews.
● Communicate with applicants regarding application status and scholarships.
● Enter admissions decisions and coordinate follow-up with Admissions Office.
Curriculum and Instruction
● Work with Chair and Registrar to plan course offerings and schedule courses.
● Ensure the course offerings are correctly reflected in online systems and print materials.
● Monitor student grades and attendance and communicate warnings to students, faculty and Chair.
● Coordinate Annual Reviews.
● Participate in orientation sessions for new students.
● Provide ongoing academic advisement to students:
○ Manage course registration process;
○ Support students during course adjustment periods;
○ Facilitate cross-registration with other departments as needed;
○ Make students aware of degree and graduation requirements and coordinate with Office of Academic Advisement for degree verification.
● Maintain student contact information and email lists.
● Coordinate with Student Accounts Office, International Students Office and Student Affairs Office regarding issues related to payments, visas, code of conduct issues and other policies and procedures.
● Assist Chair with new faculty hires.
● Maintain faculty contact information and email list.
● Coordinate orientation sessions for new faculty.
● Provide faculty with information on scheduled hours and rates as needed.
● Coordinate faculty meetings.
● Ensure that faculty submit attendance reports and grades.
● Attend graduate portfolio days and other recruiting events.
● Attend open studios, exhibition receptions and other departmental events.
● Participate in commencement ceremonies.
● Assist Chair as needed.
● MFA or MA in art or a related field required.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Excellent organizational skills.
● Ability to work collaboratively with other team members.
● Knowledge of contemporary art and related pedagogical practices.
● Experience working in an academic department.
● Experience working with online systems for academic administration.
● High level of proficiency in administrative software including OS X and Google Apps
School of Visual Arts has been a leader in the education of artists, designers and creative professionals for nearly seven decades. With a faculty of distinguished working professionals, dynamic curriculum and an emphasis on critical thinking, SVA is a catalyst for innovation and social responsibility. Comprised of more than 6,000 students at its Manhattan campus and 35,000 alumni in 100 countries, SVA also represents one of the most influential artistic communities in the world.
To apply for this position click here
No walk-ins or phone calls, please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is a core principle of the College. SVA enjoys a community that represents a significant number of historically underrepresented communities, ethnic and religious backgrounds, gender identities, diverse abilities, and foreign countries, and all are encouraged to apply.