The position is expected to begin on August 1, 2021.
The Art Education Department at the School of Visual Arts invites applications for a 12-month faculty administrator appointment. The art education department offers two graduate degrees (MA and MAT), a series of education courses in partnership with SVA's Continuing Education, and Art for Kids, a weekend children's program. We seek an individual with broad expertise in art education as well as experience with teacher education (curriculum, pedagogy, and theory). In addition to administrative duties, the successful applicant will be expected to teach up to six courses over the three-semester (Fall, Spring, Summer) academic year. We seek individuals who exhibit demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusivity, and access in education and the arts.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach up to six courses per academic year (teaching assignments will be assigned by the chair based on the candidate's experience and expertise)
- Placement and supervision of teacher candidates (MAT) in student teaching by conferring with cooperating teachers and school administrators
- Placement and supervision of MA candidates in spring internship by conferring with arts education and/or community organizations
- Serve an integral part in the accreditation process (with AAQEP) for the education preparation program (MAT)
- Participate in student admissions interviews and the application process
- Organize and participate in various departmental meetings and events
- Earned Ed.D. or Ph.D. in Art Education, or a terminal degree from a related/interdisciplinary academic field (ABD considered)
- Experience and knowledge of New York State teacher certification requirements
- Background in college-level teaching (minimum 3 years) and supervision
- Knowledge of progressive and diverse educational theories in art education, educational psychology, and general education
- Knowledge of and experience with culturally-responsive teaching with diverse learners in inclusive classroom settings
- Interest and experience in building partnerships with local schools, community organizations, and across campus
- Involvement with local, state, and/or national activities that support the practice of art education
- Must communicate effectively, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, and value professional development
School of Visual Arts has been a leader in the education of artists, designers, and creative professionals for nearly seven decades. With a faculty of distinguished working professionals, dynamic curriculum, and an emphasis on critical thinking, SVA is a catalyst for innovation and social responsibility. Comprised of more than 6,000 students at its Manhattan campus and 35,000 alumni in 100 countries, SVA also represents one of the most influential artistic communities in the world.
Please click on the link to apply: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/sva/jobs/1690332/NY-New-York/New-York/Art-Education-FT-Administrator-and. Please submit a cover letter, academic CV, Teaching Philosophy, and two course syllabi.
Application received by March 15, 2021, will be given full consideration.
No walk-ins or phone calls, please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is a core principle of the College. SVA enjoys a community that represents a significant number of historically underrepresented communities, ethnic and religious backgrounds, gender identities, diverse abilities, and foreign countries, and all are encouraged to apply.