Date: July 2021
Job Title: Benefits Manager
Department: Human Resources
Reports To: Director of Human Resources
Position Overview: Responsible for the administration of SVA’s benefit plans and regulations - medical, dental, 401k, Life, STD, LTD, AD&D, HSA, FSA, Worker's Comp, FMLA, COBRA, and HIPAA.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that the day-to-day administration of administrative staff and faculty benefit programs are properly carried out.
- Maintain benefit records by developing record-keeping systems; initiating new-hire benefits; recording changes.
- Manage new employee and open enrollment proactively; provides comprehensive information related to benefits options, conducts periodic benefits information sessions; responds to employee inquiries, and directs employees to vendor resources and publications as required.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for benefits vendors, reconciling vendor reports for all benefits and deductions; ensures payments are processed in a timely manner, providing report metrics for periodic and annual reporting.
- Manage and schedule employee benefits enrollment and insurance premium payment processing.
- Monitor legislative changes regarding benefit-related laws such as COBRA, HIPAA, and FMLA and provide the HR department, senior management, and employees with necessary updates to ensure compliance.
- Track, monitor, and adjust faculty premium rates resulting from changes in contact hours and insurance premiums; communicate changes to faculty.
- Compile information and ensures the timely filing of the Welfare Plan with an auditing firm.
- Maintain a list of retirees and communicate plan changes/modifications as needed.
- Evaluates benefit programs and recommend alternatives for the most effective utilization of financial resources in relation to the short and long-term needs of the employees and the College.
- Ensure compliance with Federal and State laws, including, but not limited to Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- Supervise the processing of workers’ comp, short-term and long-term disability claims.
- Manages workers’ compensation incident reporting in collaboration with security and environmental health and safety; works closely with college staff regarding incident investigations as required.
- Oversee the tracking of workplace injuries and preparation of OSHA 300 log.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops;
- review professional publications; establishing personal networks; and participate in professional societies.
- Prepare special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Bachelors’ degree required.
- 5-7 years of benefits experience and 2-3 years supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of benefits [e.g. medical, dental, 401k, STD, LTD,] and applicable government regulations (e.g. HIPAA, FMLA, COBRA).
- Strong customer service attitude – ability to handle a high volume of calls and employee concerns.
- Ability to work independently and initiate, prioritize and identify solutions with strong attention to detail.
- Advanced computer literacy (word processing, spreadsheets, database, HRIS).
- Excellent organizational, proofreading, and communication (oral and written) skills.
- Ability to handle confidential material.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and a willingness to work flexible and extended hours.
To apply for this position, please click on the link here.
No walk-ins or phone calls, please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is a core principle of the College. SVA enjoys a community that represents a significant number of historically underrepresented communities, ethnic and religious backgrounds, gender identities, diverse abilities, and foreign countries, and all are encouraged to apply.