Date Available: October 2021
Job Title: Communication Coordinator
Reports To: Director
Position Overview: Responsible for professional administrative support to the director and Communication team. The position provides the opportunity to gain exposure to various aspects of higher education communications, including
digital and social media, media relations, and magazine production.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Act as primary contact for the Communication department. Perform administrative tasks to include checking and answering department phone and email, completing timesheets and purchase orders, tracking budget and invoices, managing periodical subscriptions, archiving content
● Plan, compile and write SVA Today, a daily newsletter, tailoring content to audience (staff, faculty and students) as needed; build in newsletter builder; schedule and distribute
● Manage internal editorial calendar for SVA Today, including SVA events/exhibitions, cultural events, announcements, media hits, and features schedule
● Compile and write SVA Now, a weekly newsletter highlighting feature stories, media hits and SVA events/exhibitions for an external audience; send to assistant director for building, scheduling and distributing
● Program content for lobby information screens
● Manage calendar and publish event listings on SVA’s website
● Create and distribute monthly calendar of events as poster and e-calendar.
● Assist the assistant director of digital and social media with social media posting, as required
● Build feature stories on the website CMS
● Maintain digital archive of press clips and create monthly reports, with the media relations manager
● Edit press releases for student exhibitions
● Write web features and Visual Arts Journal articles as required.
● Attend exhibition openings and evening and/or weekend events as required.
● BA in Communications, English, Journalism or related field; interest in public relations, communications, art and education preferred
● 2+ years previous office experience
● Excellent organizational and communication skills
● Writing and editing skills
● Web publishing/CMS experience preferred
● Strong computer skills essential, including knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop.
● Ability to manage time and handle multiple projects simultaneously
● Self-motivated with the ability to take direction
School of Visual Arts has been a leader in the education of artists, designers and creative professionals for nearly seven decades. With a faculty of distinguished working professionals, dynamic curriculum and an emphasis on critical thinking, SVA is a catalyst for innovation and social responsibility. Comprised of more than 6,000 students at its Manhattan campus and 35,000 alumni in 100 countries, SVA also represents one of the most influential artistic communities in the world.
To apply for this position click here
No walk-ins or phone calls, please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is a core principle of the College. SVA enjoys a community that represents a significant number of historically underrepresented communities, ethnic and religious backgrounds, gender identities, diverse abilities, and foreign countries, and all are encouraged to apply.