Date: July 2020
Job Title: Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Department: Office of Academic Affairs
Reports To: Provost
Position Overview: School of Visual Arts seeks a dynamic, collaborative, and innovative leader to serve as the College’s first Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Reporting to the Provost, the Director will engage instructional staff, faculty, and students to foster a culture of inclusivity at the College. The Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will provide strategic leadership and guidance toward implementing the goals of the Strategic Sub-plan on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with the executive leadership team of the College to set and advance strategic priorities and policies related to equity, diversity and inclusion;
- Develop, manage and execute projects in support of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion goals set by SVA’s Strategic Plan in collaboration with offices across the college.
- Partner with the Office of Learning Technologies to develop online resources for faculty, staff and students;
- Lead and support highly visible educational events and activities for the college community and the public to foster a culture of openness and dialogue with respect to prominent issues relating to the intersection of diversity, equity and inclusion within the fields of art and design;
- In collaboration with HR, consult and advise department chairs on approaches to increase diversity in faculty hiring and broaden representation within the curriculum;
- Meet one-on-one and in groups with students to address issues of concern and serve as a resource for faculty and staff on issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Maintain a regular schedule of ongoing small-group workshops for faculty and administration;
- Foster community relationships and create access pathways for local, traditionally underrepresented groups;
- Expand upon institutional partnerships that advance the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion goals of our Strategic Plan.
- Direct the development of survey tools to measure community response to initiatives.
- Maintain metrics and prepare reports for leadership for assessment of diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Collaborate with the Provost and HR to develop coaching strategies, implement dialogue that addresses specific concerns and issues, and oversee resolution of conflicts/disputes relating to diversity.
- Master’s Degree in related field preferred;
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible diversity, equity and inclusion related leadership experience in higher education and/or fields of art and design;
- Excellent oral, interpersonal and written communication skills;
- Experience with the development and implementation of training programs for faculty, staff and students;
- Ability to set benchmarks, analyze data, and assess progress towards institutional priorities.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
No walk-ins or phone calls, please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is a core principle of the College. SVA enjoys a student body that represents a significant number of historically underrepresented communities, ethnic and religious backgrounds, gender identities, diverse abilities, and foreign countries, and all are encouraged to apply.