COVID-19 Update: Classes Continue Online; Building Closures begin 3/23
Read the latest on SVA's response to the coronavirus and find the resources you need.
Librarian (Evening), Library West
Position Overview: In absence of the full-time Librarian, responsible for managing SVA’s branch library (Library West) including student workers, and maintaining its fluid operation. Provide reference, instruction, and circulation services. Support event programming. Work with technical services to execute cataloging assignments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Oversee the service desk and provide reference in-person, email, chat, etc.
· Oversee evening events and initiate casual programming (i.e. game nights, screenings, and passive programming).
· Maintain the fluid operation of Library West, including stack and display maintenance.
· Contribute to the training and supervision of student workers in daily tasks associated with the operation of Library
· Operate, monitor, and make available A/V systems, including the video Game Room, to students and the college at
· Monitor the computers, printers, and scanners, troubleshooting when possible, escalating to the SVA Help Desk when
· Teach evening library instruction classes as needed.
· Coordinate with Technical Services to execute special cataloging projects.
· Work to promote Library West through the liaison program.
· Contribute to library acquisitions as part of collection development team.
· Create Library information guides.
· Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
· M.L.S from ALA-accredited institution.
· Experience with an Integrated Library System (ILS).
· Experience with standard office suite of software.
· Highly responsible and punctual.
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
· Independent, self-motivated worker with ability to set priorities, multitask, and exercise consistent good judgment.
· Knowledge of cataloging processes and techniques, and familiarity with basic cataloging standards.
· Some supervisory experience preferred.
· Reference and instruction experience preferred
School of Visual Arts has been a leader in the education of artists, designers and creative professionals for more than seven decades. With a faculty of distinguished working professionals, a dynamic curriculum and an emphasis on critical thinking, SVA is a catalyst for innovation and social responsibility. Comprising 7,000 students at its Manhattan campus and 38,000 alumni in 75 countries, SVA also represents one of the most influential artistic communities in the world. For more information about the College’s 31 undergraduate and graduate degree programs and Continuing Education division, visit sva.edu. Learn more about working at SVA.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No walk-ins or phone calls, please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.