Facilitate and oversee prototyping within the VFL
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop a workflow for the usage of digital and standard fabrication machines
- Assist students, faculty and artist in residence with the proper usage of digital and standard fabrication machines
- Supervise, attend, assist and guide graduate students and faculty in the lab on safety procedures, techniques and best practices as needed
- Provide feedback, assistance, instruction and mentorship to graduate students and faculty as they develop prototypes and class projects
- Maintain an open and ongoing dialog with lab director to keep them informed and up to date on progress, process and status of all prototyping projects in the lab
- Maintain machines and workstations
- Create material and machine forecasts for lab planning and budgeting
- Maintain lab operating hours including nights and/or weekends
- Experience in CAM software including Partworks and MasterCAM
- Experience in 2D and 3D design software
- Proven track record in creating working, complex and diversified prototypes
- Familiar with digital fabrication tools.
- Minimum of two years of shop and/or prototyping experience
- Can troubleshoot and assist with fixing staff, faculty and student project-design issues
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to work independently, be detail-oriented and maintain focus while handling multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to interact with all levels of administrative staff, faculty, students, visitors and prospective students
School of Visual Arts has been a leader in the education of artists, designers and creative professionals for more than seven decades. With a faculty of distinguished working professionals, a dynamic curriculum and an emphasis on critical thinking, SVA is a catalyst for innovation and social responsibility. Comprising 7,000 students at its Manhattan campus and 38,000 alumni in 75 countries, SVA also represents one of the most influential artistic communities in the world. For more information about the College’s 31 undergraduate and graduate degree programs and Continuing Education division, visit sva.edu.
Learn more about working at SVA.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No walk-ins or phone calls, please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.