COVID-19 Update: Classes Continue Online; Building Closures begin 3/23
Read the latest on SVA's response to the coronavirus and find the resources you need.
To protect the students, staff, faculty, visitors and property of SVA.
Security services supervisory and management staff
Full-time, 35 hours/week (40 hours/week excluding 5 hours/week for meal breaks). Must be available for two of the three available shifts.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Follow and carry out all instructions of the shift supervisors or other security management
- Detect unusual circumstances and/or suspicious individuals
- Detect defective doors, windows, locks, lights and fire safety equipment while making periodic checks of the entire building
- Respond quickly to emergency calls, alarms, disturbances and potentially hazardous conditions and/or activities.
- Deter unlawful entry onto the premises by undesirables and individuals with negative intentions
- Deter smoking on the premises and the perpetration of unlawful acts against the College and its community such as vandalism, burglaries, assaults, etc.
- Report to supervisors all activities or observances that would or could allow harm to the people or property of the College, or interfere with the duties and responsibilities of an officer
- Be presentable in a neat and clean uniform when stationed at a point of entry to a building
- Provide necessary information to visitors and affiliates of the College such as directions and location of facilities, at all times displaying an acceptable degree of respect, professionalism, courtesy and tolerance
- Provide constant vigil on surveillance equipment (CCTV monitors) and alarms
- Log in entries in daily activity logbook every hour or upon the occurrence of irregular/abnormal situations/circumstances
- Gather date, compile information and prepare reports
- Provides meal relief for one hour to other security officers as needed
Essential Job Functions:
- Walk and stand for extended periods while on duty
- Ability to patrol building, covering long distances, rapidly in case of emergency
- Climb stairs, conduct foot patrols and able to lift up to 50 lbs
- High school diploma or an equivalent required
- NYS Security Guard License required
- Two or more years of security-related experience
- One or more years of customer service experience
- Able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Able to operate a computer
- NYC Fire Safety Director Certification preferred
- Able to work nights, weekends and holidays
- Available for overtime and to cover vacations, sick/personal days, etc.
All security officers are responsible for renewing their license each year to maintain employment.
School of Visual Arts has been a leader in the education of artists, designers and creative professionals for more than seven decades. With a faculty of distinguished working professionals, a dynamic curriculum and an emphasis on critical thinking, SVA is a catalyst for innovation and social responsibility. Comprising 7,000 students at its Manhattan campus and 38,000 alumni in 75 countries, SVA also represents one of the most influential artistic communities in the world. For more information about the College’s 31 undergraduate and graduate degree programs and Continuing Education division, visit sva.edu.
Learn more about working at SVA.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No walk-ins or phone calls, please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.