Position Overview: Represent the College as the lead Admissions Counselor at in-person recruitment events across the country while working independently and as a member of a team. Represent the college at virtual and in-person events, campus tours, and fairs. Engage, counsel, and enroll prospective students who will benefit from matriculation in the degree programs of the College.
Working Modality: This role requires both onsite (in-person) work as well as the willingness and ability to travel approximately 30% of the year.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serve as primary and most senior contact for prospective undergraduate applicants to the College. Counsel students, conduct portfolio reviews and promote the various undergraduate programs at SVA. Maintain in-depth knowledge of the curriculum, facilities, faculty, and alumni for each program.
- Represent SVA in virtual and in-person events, fairs, tours, and class visits.
- Evaluate and critique applicant portfolios with special focus given to in-office appointments when the need arises.
- Support Associate Director with the management of freshman applicant file review and running-related reports.
- Develop customized outreach strategies with the Associate Director of Admissions that engage prospective students and applicants.
- Assist the Manager of Transfer Admissions with strategic outreach, college visits, transfer applicant file review, and transfer credit re-evaluation.
- Cultivate and maintain an advanced working knowledge of departmental operations, especially those supporting locally-based, transferring, returning, or special student applicant pools.
- Assist the Assistant Director of Admissions, Visitor Services, with group and VIP tours of the College.
- Maintain a good working knowledge of policies across campus in order to assist applicants through the enrollment and registration process.
- Represent the College at National Portfolio Day events, college fairs, and other recruitment events. Weekend work and travel is required throughout the fall and winter.
- Schedule and deliver in-depth presentations about the College at high schools and two-year colleges across the country.
- Provide training to new Admissions Counselors on workflow and processes in Salesforce and Colleague.
- Accurately maintain prospective student and applicant records in the database' tracking contact points, outreach and application materials.
- Review completed applications for admission and scholarship consideration.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with instructors and department chairs at educational institutions across the country. Assist with the development and planning of teacher workshops, tours, and events.
- Address inter-departmental staff and Department Chair inquiries as they arise.
- Perform administrative office duties such as data entry, filing, receiving phone calls, and answering a high volume of emails. Respond to online chat inquiries.
- Maintain flexibility to perform other job-related duties or special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in studio art or related field required; BFA preferred
- Three to four years related, full-time work experience
- A valid driver's license is required
- Interest and a strong commitment to the goals of higher education in the arts
- Experience and comfort with public speaking; strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven ability to lead a team effectively and diplomatically
- Willingness and ability to travel; the flexibility to work evening and weekend hours as an office or travel needs dictate
- Administrative and data entry experience; ability to work accurately and consistently with detailed information
- Knowledge of art, design, and visual culture and the ability to discuss these subjects with high school/college students
- Adaptable in stressful environments; responds well under pressure
- Familiarity with both PC and Mac platforms; proficiency with MS Word, Excel, Keynote, Salesforce, and social media platforms is preferred
School of Visual Arts has been a leader in the education of artists, designers, and creative professionals for nearly seven decades. With a faculty of distinguished working professionals, a dynamic curriculum, and an emphasis on critical thinking, SVA is a catalyst for innovation and social responsibility. Comprised of more than 6,000 students at its Manhattan campus and 35,000 alumni in 100 countries, SVA also represents one of the most influential artistic communities in the world.
To apply for this position, please click on the link here.
No walk-ins or phone calls, please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is a core principle of the College. SVA enjoys a community that represents a significant number of historically underrepresented communities, ethnic and religious backgrounds, gender identities, diverse abilities, and foreign countries, and all are encouraged to apply.