Hours: Monday – Friday, 10am – 6pm
The Senior Systems Administrator is responsible for overseeing all technical aspects internally and externally facing including the planning, coordinating, integrating, and monitoring for the graduate Design department. The role ensures that all IT systems are working efficiently and with integrity. Daily activities include, but are not limited to monitoring and ensuring the integrity of A/V systems, department services, website, email, department computers, printing, the network, and server support for students, faculty, and staff. Communicating directly with and being readily available to our user population of faculty, staff, students, and alumni is a must.
● Provide consistent technical support to macOS workstations, including integration with peripherals such as scanners, printers, A/V systems, 3D printers, and more.
● Manage, coordinate and monitor the MFA Design departmental website, including working with WordPress, the designer for updates, changes to content, and supervising all media which are uploaded to the site.
● Calibrate and maintain black and white, color, and large format printers with fiery RIP systems.
● Troubleshoot macOS specific printing issues.
● Perform hardware/software installation, and support students and faculty with problems or questions.
● Research and recommend equipment purchases and strategies for the budget. Submit purchase requisitions for hardware/software, and track leased equipment. Purchase and track all tech equipment needed for the department.
● Stay well-informed of current software and hardware developments, and trends in digital art and design, including but not limited to attending conferences, exhibitions, and workshops.
● Work with the SVA’s Admin and Network Services, Security, Facilities, and Purchasing departments to maintain and ensure the MFAD offices, studio and classrooms are operating properly.
● Operate the studio security system and process card keys for staff, faculty, and students.
● Provide technical support in the coordination and operation of all MFA Design events i.e. Information Sessions, Special Lectures, Exhibitions, Thesis Presentations, and Venture Forum (annual final thesis presentations at the SVA Theatre).
● Must have experience managing social media.
● Propose and develop means of digital outreach through existing and future platforms. Work with web developers to create additional assets for the website according to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), assist with department blog, exhibitions, archive, digital presentations, tours for visitors, special events, and orientations.
● Develop an environment for distance learning and virtual conferencing.
● Provide guidance for improving digital archiving and accessibility of the same.
● Assist with departmental projects such as digital document archiving of manuals, updates, books, and warranties.
● Maintain repair records, inventories of hardware/software, and backup databases.
● Maintain an organized, clean, and professional MFA design studio.
● Serve as a liaison with faculty regarding classroom technology needs and procedures.
● Offer workshops to graduate students on a variety of software and hardware topics as needed, promoting more effective use of studio equipment safety and an efficient working environment.
● Bachelor’s degree required. Minimum 5 years experience.
● Expert knowledge of macOS Server. Familiarity with Apple XServe, in “headless” configuration and Apple Remote Desktop.
● Working knowledge of all Adobe software, i.e. After Effects, Animate, Audition, Dimension, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign, Lightroom, Media Encoder, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, and Adobe XD, as well as HTML and other web scripting languages.
● Ability to troubleshoot software and hardware, including high-end video camera, microphone, and video editing equipment.
● Design or creative production background and ongoing developments in the design art/design field.
● Sophisticated communication, organization, time management, and solution-oriented skills.
● Ability to work independently, be detail-oriented, and understand basic design principles.
● Must be a team player with the ability to identify issues and be proactive in driving solutions.
● Working knowledge of additional software such as Audacity, Cyberduck, DragonFrame, DSLR Editing Tools, Figma, Fontstand, Github, Keynote, Livesurface, Makerbot, Text Wrangler, Tinkercad, Transmit, Sketch, SketchUp, Social Media Editing and Promotion Tools, Spark AR, and Sublime Text.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills required. Diplomacy and professionalism in working with individuals via email, over the phone, and in person.
School of Visual Arts has been a leader in the education of artists, designers, and creative professionals for nearly seven decades. With a faculty of distinguished working professionals, dynamic curriculum, and an emphasis on critical thinking, SVA is a catalyst for innovation and social responsibility. Comprised of more than 6,000 students at its Manhattan campus and 35,000 alumni in 100 countries, SVA also represents one of the most influential artistic communities in the world.
Please click on the link to apply: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/sva/jobs/1812792-318330 .
Please send a cover letter and resume. No walk-ins or phone calls, please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is a core principle of the College. SVA enjoys a community that represents a significant number of historically underrepresented communities, ethnic and religious backgrounds, gender identities, diverse abilities, and foreign countries, and all are encouraged to apply.