POSITION OVERVIEW: The Shift Commander is responsible for the overall operations of a designated shift. He/she is the liaison or spokesperson for security during and for each shift they work. It is the responsibility of the Shift Commander to patrol, delegate and coordinate all safety and security activities for the SVA facility. Generally, there are two officers and one shift commander every shift.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works closely with Supervisor to ensure the safety and security of a specific location. Report any and all problems promptly and follow-up to insure tasks have been completed.
- Oversee the officers on duty during the shift; delegate assignments and activities, report all such actions and activities to the supervisors.
- Serve as contact for all inquiries or unusual requests from/regarding students, third parties, the building and/or city officials.
- Serve as shift contact with Resident Assistants, Campus Life staff and other members of the SVA community.
- Ensure adherence to fire and safety regulations, and package and delivery procedures.
- Assist with gathering and communicating data for developing and implementing policies/procedures, which ensure the effective use of personnel and equipment.
- Review, identify and reinforce security issues and needs; coordinate officer awareness of events, procedures and equipment handling.
- Evaluate the direction and effectiveness of shift operations and patrol needs to make necessary personnel and equipment available.
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of security reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor or director of security.
- Fill in for officers as needed.
- Knowledge of security and procedures
- Customer service oriented interpersonal skills
- Verbal and written communication skills; ability to read, speak, and write English fluently
- Ability to manage tactical/emergency responses
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Three years of related experience; supervisory experience preferred
- High school diploma or equivalent education
- Ability to be reached by telephone during off hours
- All shift commanders must have a valid and active license or provide documentation that a license is pending at the time of hire.
- All shift commanders are responsible for renewing their license each year to maintain employment.
School of Visual Arts has been a leader in the education of artists, designers, and creative professionals for nearly seven decades. With a faculty of distinguished working professionals, dynamic curriculum, and an emphasis on critical thinking, SVA is a catalyst for innovation and social responsibility. Comprised of more than 6,000 students at its Manhattan campus and 35,000 alumni in 100 countries, SVA also represents one of the most influential artistic communities in the world.
Please click on the link to apply: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/sva/jobs/1725827-316633
No walk-ins or phone calls, please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is a core principle of the College. SVA enjoys a community that represents a significant number of historically underrepresented communities, ethnic and religious backgrounds, gender identities, diverse abilities, and foreign countries, and all are encouraged to apply.