DEPARTMENT: Visible Futures Lab
REPORTS TO: Lab Director
POSITION OVERVIEW: Maintain Department Network and Computers
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain lab operating hours including evenings and weekends.
- Maintain the local computer network.
- Perform backups of the computers/server.
- Install, update, and maintain all software necessary for lab operations.
- Assist with repairing and replacing computers and computer components as necessary.
- Assist with technology forecasts for Lab planning and budgeting.
- Liaise between IT and the VFL to ensure that the Lab meets all standards and expectations.
- Maintain Audio/Visual Equipment.
- Install, update, and maintain all new A/V equipment necessary for Lab operations each year.
- Assist with A/V forecasts for Lab planning and budgeting.
- Assist with special events, projects, presentations, artist in residency (AiR), and exhibitions.
- Maintain, update, and support Lab website and social media accounts.
- Assist with creating digital content for social media and digital platforms.
- Assist with developing workflow for the usage of digital tools, software, and equipment.
- Maintain a safe environment by keeping workspaces clean, approving materials used within the lab, and overseeing proper use of lab equipment.
- Supervise, guide, and assist graduate students, artists in residence, staff, and faculty on lab policies, safety procedures, and the proper and safe usage of fabrication equipment, shop tools, techniques, and their applications.
- Learn and test new software and equipment to share and train other staff members.
- Develop digital prototypes and examples which demonstrate the capabilities of lab resources and equipment.
- Provide support, mentorship and expertise for graduate students with project planning, design, and fabrication best practices.
- Help out with general and miscellaneous tasks around the lab when needed.
- College degree in technology or design-based fields.
- Minimum 2 years experience Administrating Networks and Maintaining Computers.
- Proficient in Mac and PC-based systems.
- Detail-oriented, strong organizational skills, the ability to work independently, troubleshoot technical issues and maintain focus while handling multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of Lab/Fabrication software, A/V equipment, and network.
- Experience with 3D modeling, computer animation, and digital rendering is preferred.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Premiere, AfterEffects, and Photoshop, and Illustrator, preferred.
- Experience with electronics design and microcontroller including Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and basic programming preferred.
- Experience with new media/technology tools including virtual reality equipment is preferred.
- Fabrication experience is a plus.
- Social media management is a plus.
School of Visual Arts has been a leader in the education of artists, designers, and creative professionals for nearly seven decades. With a faculty of distinguished working professionals, dynamic curriculum, and an emphasis on critical thinking, SVA is a catalyst for innovation and social responsibility. Comprised of more than 6,000 students at its Manhattan campus and 35,000 alumni in 100 countries, SVA also represents one of the most influential artistic communities in the world.
To apply for this position, please click on the link: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/sva/jobs/1874813-318330.
No walk-ins or phone calls, please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is a core principle of the College. SVA enjoys a community that represents a significant number of historically underrepresented communities, ethnic and religious backgrounds, gender identities, diverse abilities, and foreign countries, and all are encouraged to apply.