BFA Interior Design: Built Environments
From your first day at SVA, you’ll work at your own desk with unlimited access to a state-of-the-art computer lab in a design-firm atmosphere. You’ll learn to integrate current technology with the traditions of drawing and drafting. You’ll become proficient in the specialized language used by today’s preeminent design and construction firms. And most importantly, you’ll learn what it takes to turn a design idea into a real space.
At SVA you’ll also have the opportunity to explore specialized areas of interest, whether in the creative areas of design and presentation skills, the technical areas of construction documentation, project management and construction administration or the business areas of finance, marketing and company management.
- Job Placement: In 2020: 18 people graduated.
- As of January 2020, 11 of 18 are fully employed in design professions (60%) and 7 are in graduate school (40%).
- Acceptance into Graduate Programs: 50% of our 2021 graduates applied to graduate schools and achieved 100% acceptance in at least one program as of April 2021.
- In the last three years, our seniors have been accepted to Yale University, Harvard University, Cornell University, Columbia University, NYU, among other graduate schools.
- Graduation Rates: 95% of the Class of 2021 graduated in 4 years, 5% graduated in 5 years.
- Retention/Attrition: 100% of students enrolled during the Fall 2018 semester returned in Fall 2019, putting attrition at 0%.
- DesignIntelligence 2019 ranking: 4th “Most Hired from Interior Design School” (based on average number of graduates) SVA BFA Interior Design: Built Environment graduates from years past have been employed within the interior design and architecture industry as designers, product specialists, or project managers. Some have continued their education and others have started their own firms. Below is a list of some of the companies that have hired graduates from SVA ID:BE:.
Our faculty, some of the most respected working professionals in the industry, will help you get there. Whether it’s Jack Travis, FAIA, Principal Architect and Designer, Afri Culture / Design Culture; Ralph Ottaiano, AIA, Levien & Company, Inc.; Gita Nandan, Founding Partner, Thread Collective LLC; or Anthony Lee, Founder, Honest Struggle—all of them are here to help you design a wide range of projects: apartments, restaurants, offices, schools, museums and cruise ships. You’ll also present your work to internationally renowned interior designers and architects along with real life clients. We invite partners in recognized interior design and architecture firms such as Gensler and HOK, magazine editors from major publications including Interior Design magazine and Metropolis and heads of design for brand-name companies like MTV and Polo Ralph Lauren. Through this process, you’ll gain confidence and insight and might even meet your future boss or client.
Courses such as Rhino and Digital Fabrication Concepts, Advanced Computer Rendering Techniques, and Design/Build are other ways to customize the program. For example, you can participate in projects for schools and other community-based organizations, take tours of design firms and showrooms such as Steelcase and Herman Miller to get behind the scenes. In addition, the administration and faculty will work with you to secure summer and part-time internships that provide real life learning experiences.
Here we are in New York City, where buildings and interior space are abundant. What better city to study and shape the places where we live, work and play?
Your time at SVA is a collaborative learning experience between teacher and student. And we are absolutely committed to your success. Upon graduation you’ll have unlimited options for earning a good living while working with passion. You can join a large international interior design or architecture firm and travel the world. You can become part of a smaller boutique design firm highly respected within your local community. You can work within the facilities department of a Fortune 100 corporation and be the client to your peers. You can pursue a specialty like furniture design, set design or residential design. Or you can go the entrepreneurial route and open your own design firm or real estate development company.
Our job is to expose our students to the latest thinking and creative energy in a constantly changing and expanding field that will take you to any of these destinations. And the industry supports SVA students because they know they are the future. The quality of our students and their placement on completing the program speaks for itself.