SVA Alumni Society provides a wide variety of scholarships and awards to students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels in all majors. Information about how to apply for select awards, including awards distributed through the Alumni Scholarship Awards program and the Housing Scholarship Award program, is available here.
2020 Alumni Scholarship Awards Application Information & Guidelines
Final year undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to apply for Alumni Scholarship Awards to aid the completion of final projects: thesis, portfolio, or components of final projects. These cash awards are intended to cover project expenses, and range from $500 to $2,000, depending on the project budget total. BFA Film majors only (working in narrative film of any length – NOT documentary or animation) can request up to $5,000 not to exceed your total budget. Applications are reviewed and rated by an alumni panel whose recommendations are approved by the Alumni Society Board of Directors. A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is required to qualify for these awards. In 2019, 68 projects were funded a total of $62,000.
Who can apply?
- Students must be in their final year at SVA, planning to graduate in Spring 2020 (or Summer 2020 for graduate programs that end in Summer semester 2020). If you are graduating earlier (December 2019), please contact Miranda Pierce at 212.592.2305 or email@example.com to verify your eligibility.
- Students must be fully matriculated (BFA, MFA, MPS, MA and MAT candidates), in any major, whose final project will be completed by Spring semester 2020 (or Summer 2020 for graduate programs that end in Summer semester 2020).
- Students must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
What projects can you apply for?
- Support for the direct costs of completing required final projects: thesis or portfolio. If you have questions about whether a project is eligible, please contact Miranda.
- All projects must be completed by the end of Spring semester 2020 (or Summer 2020 for graduate programs that end in Summer semester 2020).
What awards can you apply for?
- BFA Film majors ONLY (working in narrative film of any length – NOT documentary or animation) can apply for the William C. Arkell Memorial Award and can request $5,000 (not to exceed your total budget). All applications for the Arkell Award will automatically be considered for the James Richard Janowsky Award for $1,000 for students working in narrative film, as well as other available general funding.
- Awards for all other projects range from $500 to $2,000, not to exceed your total budget.
- All other awards are funded by the general Alumni Scholarship Award Fund or by a named scholarship award fund as determined by the scholarship review panel.
Schedule & requirements
- The SlideRoom application portal opens on Wednesday, October 16, 2019
- Application Deadline: Monday, December 16, 2019 – 11:59 p.m. EST
- Applicants will receive notification of award status by e-mail in February 2020.
- Award checks will be distributed in early March 2020.
- Late, ineligible, and incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Award recipients’ images (artwork and photographs of recipients) will be retained for promotional purposes and all award winners are required to submit print-quality images of their completed projects – evidencing project completion.
- Award recipients must notify the Alumni Society if their project changes.
Application review information
Applications will be reviewed by an independent panel of SVA alumni whose recommendations are approved by the Alumni Society Board of Directors. Applications are scored on the following criteria:
- Clarity and quality of project proposal and budget
- Project inventiveness and originality
- Artistic merit of work samples
Please attend a ‘How to Apply’ workshop
Location: 136 West 21 Street, 8th Floor, Room 830F
Seating is limited, arrive early to get a seat.
Wednesday, October 16 from 4:30 - 5:30
Friday, November 1 from 4:00 - 5:00
Thursday, November 14 from 4:00 - 5:00
Tuesday, December 10 from 4:00 - 5:00
Attendance is not mandatory but can be helpful. If you cannot attend due to your schedule or location, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to schedule an appointment (in-person or via telephone/skype).
How to apply guidelines
Please find the complete guidelines here.
Contact Miranda Pierce
This scholarship is by invitation only. Eligible incoming students will be invited to apply in early May 2020.
The intent of the Alumni Society Housing Scholarship is to provide on-campus housing for a student who otherwise would commute from home. The award will cover the cost of on-campus housing for the duration of study at SVA (not to exceed four years). The scholarship does not cover the cost of meals, and all applicants must be able to cover the costs of food and other out-of-pocket living expenses. The scholarship may not be deferred. The scholarship does not cover summer housing.
Please note, eligible Housing Scholarship applicants are pre-selected from applicants already accepted to SVA for the Fall semester, based on the following criteria:
- Incoming freshman (non-transfer student)
- Home address is within 25 mile radius from zip code 10010
- Minimum high school GPA of 3.0 (as on file with the College Office of Admissions)
- Demonstrated financial need
Questions about eligibility or the application process?
Contact: Miranda Pierce